Dragaera

Aliera & Kiera

David Silberstein davids at Kithrup.COM
Thu Jun 17 14:41:14 PDT 2004

Warning: Orca Spoiler.

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004, wamydia wrote:

>As for Aliera giving Sethra the gem and then Kiera using it, I am
>entirely in agreement that it would be cheating and is therefore
>unlikely.

Kiera says that when she's Kiera, she only does Kiera things.
I don't think that necessarily prevents her from "getting"
stuff from Sethra; as we see when she provides Vlad with the
gem to help support his Jhereg war in Yendi.

However, if she had done that, I don't think she would have
phrased it as "picked from the pocket of Vlad's friend Aliera"
(note, by the way, that she says "Vlad's friend", not "my
friend", strongly indicating a lack of closeness between them).

A possibility that occurs to me is that Sethra asked Aliera
at some point if she could borrow a blue stone at some point
in the future, and Aliera said yes.  That might give Kiera
the permission she needs to pick Aliera's pocket (which is
indeed a Kiera thing to do) of a blue stone ("Hey, I'm just
borrowing it"), while at the same time not betraying Sethra's
friendship with Aliera, since it would *amount* to Sethra
borrowing the stone and "giving" it to Kiera to use.