Dragaera

Morrolan (was: RE: Aliera & Kiera)

Sat Jun 19 23:04:23 PDT 2004

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004, Mark A Mandel wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Jun 2004, Philip Hart wrote:
>
> #On Sat, 19 Jun 2004, Mark A Mandel wrote:
> #
> #> the authoritative representation in our alphabet of the given name of
> #> the lord of Castle Black, whose meaning is "Dark Star" in the language
> #> of the Silites, is "Morrolan", with double-R and single-L.
> #
> #How do we know?  The "Texts" may be entirely verbal records...
>

> 1.  That they most assuredly are, since they incorporate no maps,
> graphics, illustrations, or any other content than words.

Maybe SKZB stripped out all the maps/paintings/psiprints from the
Paarfiad.

I take it you think I should have written "oral".

> 2.  However, those words, in the form in which we have them, are not
> spoken but written -- actually, printed -- and the spellings which are
> used for them may be taken as canonical, insofar as any text on these
> subjects we have is canonical.

I.e., you're willing to trust the semi-canonical "Jhereg" on this
critical matter (and SKZB generally).

> [...] Indeed, from the discussions of writing that appear therein I
> infer that Dragaeran is normally written in characters representing a
> word or a morpheme, like Chinese and Japanese in our world, rather than
> in an alphabet such as the Roman, the Cyrillic, the Hebrew, or the
> Devanagari. But that is another story.

I think I agree for the native language but I rather doubt this is the
case for Dragaeran.  Anyway, it's not clear to me that a language that
uses morphemes can't distinguish between "Morrolan" and "Morollan".
"Mor" might be "star" or "dark", but so might "Mo".  Actually we know that
"rollan" is likely a unit or group (from M's father), so "Morollan" makes
a good deal of sense to me.