Dragaera

Dangerous Liasons & Tombstone

Mon Jun 21 13:19:34 PDT 2004

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004, David Silberstein wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Jun 2004, Philip Hart wrote:

> >> Thinking about it, sex isn't even the point for them; they've
> >> become jaded with anything so straightforward as pleasure for its
> >> own sake.  It's the manipulation & cruelty; the power trip they
> >> get from manipulating their *chosen* targets of seduction,
> >> rather than seduction in itself.  Or so it seemed to me.
> >>
> >> Anyway, they're Yendis all the way down.
> >

> >They're too open in my view.  If I remember correctly, Valmont is
> >a known predator who has to find a naive sheltered Christian to
> >practice a manipulation (twice, actually).
>
> Well, after many years of being manipulative and deceitful, of
> course he'll get a reputation for being that way.
>
> You seem to be suggesting that if he were truly on top of things,
> *no one* would ever know.  Well, if Yendi were that way, they
> wouldn't have the reputation of being manipulative and deceitful,
> they would have the reputation of being strangely competent in all
> situations.  They're not, though, so they don't.  There are limits
> to everything, even a Yendi's ability to plan.

Part of being a Yendi is controlling who knows you're a Yendi...

Having everyone informed know a) you're manipulative and b) what ends
you're trying to reach (Valmon't situation) makes it hard to be a Yendi.
On the other hand, he does work with it (arguing he's a good reclamation
project), which is Yendi-like.

> >  And both he and Merteuil let their emotions mess with their
> >planning.
>
> Often Yendi are cool under fire, but we've also seen them
> become rather warm in certain circumstances.  I don't think
> we can assume they are so in control of their emotions that
> they never cause problems.

V and M are steering for the reefs though.

> >I agree re sex - they're like Athyras and knowledge - they're
> >pursuing an end (winning a game in this case) or perhaps trying to
> >achieve a kind of glory by taking on impossible challenges (which
> >is why I think Valmont is Dzur-like).
>
> No, no.  Athyra are too uninterested in people to be good at
> manipulation; Dzur too open to be deceitful..

We don't know much about Athyra, really - but athyras are manipulative.

Perhaps I'm making an ends/means case - Athyras don't care about useless
knowledge, Dzur don't care about obstacles.

> >  The Dzur aren't violent like Orca -
>
> Eh?  Both Dzur and Orca can be violent; it's just towards different
> ends.

Here "like" is used to convey, "Dzur aren't violent in the manner of
Orca".

> Orca want profit, Dzur want fame.  One way to achieve fame
> is to fight a lot of people, preferably (for the Dzur, since it's
> more likely to bring fame) all at the same time.

Valmont wants fame as I recall - or rather infamy.

> >and attempting to seduce a truly devout woman might be the local
> >equivalent of charging up Dzur Mountain.
>
> It's a challenge in manipulation, the Yendi's forté, not a
> challenge to do something that requires bravery, which is
> what a Dzur would want.

Valmont's tragedy is that he's a hero in a cynical world.

> >On the topic of "irony", I just came across one of my favorite
> >authors, Giuseppe Tomasi di Lampedusa (Duke of Palma and Prince of
> >Lampedusa), using the word in the Sethran sense, so I'm willing to
> >retract my former objection.
> >

> That's lucky.

Actually I'm giving in to the flood of wrongness, a rather unSethran
choice I think...