Dragaera

The Three Musketeers

Wed Jul 21 10:23:02 PDT 2004

> For the life of me I don't remember a Disney version.   Just as well.

It was a 1993 film, with a star cast including people like Val Kilmer,
Keifer Sutherland, Martin Sheen and Tim Curry. It was alright as these
things go. Tim Curry played an over-the-top Richelieu, and the conclusion of
the story went way out into left field with Richelieu attempting to escape
with Louis and Anne as hostages and the Musketeers as their rescuers. In a
typical Disney ending, D'artangan is called out by the brother of girl how
had "dishonored" at the beginning of the film. As D'artagnan prepares to
accept the challenge, Aramis tells him that no Musketeer ever stands alone,
and the brother and his minions flee in terror as the entire legion of
Musketeers comes charging forward in Brotherhood with D'artagnan.

If you're a story puritan, you should probably avoid it. *heh*

> This wonderful adaptation [with Michal York] attempted to be true to the
novel -
> so much so
> that it could not be cut to movie length.   So they split it into two
> movies.   The cast sued to be paid for two movies, but I
> don't remember the
> result of that.

I've been reading up on it in IMDB. If this thread has accomplished nothing
else, it will at least have got me interested enough to move the Michael
York movies to the top of my Netflix list so that I can see if I like them
any better twenty years later. Seeing both movies back-to-back might at
least make me appreciate the first one more than I did when it came out in
the theater back in the seventies.

> The typical movie is long enough for something like a 110
> page novel.   I
> just bought the DvD of _Master and Commander, Far side of the
> World_ and am interested in seeing how successful it was.

I've not read the novels at all. (I understand from people who have that the
film is inspired by parts of 2-3 books.) I expected to be bored, frankly,
but I really enjoyed it. I can't contrast it to the source material but it
worked for me as an excellent story.

Since Steve has mentioned reading those books I suppose we're even
marginally on topic still. *heh*