Dragaera

If you like Robert Jordan

Mon Aug 16 19:46:59 PDT 2004

--- Rebecca <rct9911 at comcast.net> wrote:

> [...]

I really like Robin Hobb also.  David Farland isn't
bad, but I had a little trouble getting into his first
book.  It has a slow start.  As a consequence, I
haven't gotten around to trying the last three or so
he has released in the series.

> Where did Jordan come in there?

Ah. . . that would be the Generic Lumping Together of
Authors Who Write So-Called "High Fanasty."  As in
"since you like Robert Jordan and he writes about a
big fantasy world where people ride horses, you should
like these other authors who also write about big
fantasy worlds where people ride horses."  The authors
they recommend are great (or good at least -- far
better than Jordan, IMHO), but I still think the
lumping together is silly.  It's like saying "if you
like spaghetti, you should also like toothpaste."
Just because they both come in long, rectangular,
cardboard boxes doesn't mean the same type of thing is
in both packages.

Amy