Dragaera

Morrolan at Blood River

David Silberstein davids at Kithrup.COM
Sat Aug 28 09:56:45 PDT 2004

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004, Henrik Jonsson wrote:

>From: "David Silberstein" <davids at Kithrup.COM>
>
>> Note that the following contains a huge spoiler for /Sethra
>> Lavode/.
>

>Spoiler space...for Sethra Lavode.

>> However, I was thinking about that scene in the context of my
>> earlier idea, namely, that Morrolan bears Tazendra's staff, and has
>> access to Tazendra's memories.  So what he might have been about to
>> say was "Sethra had a friend and student named Tazendra Lavode, who
>> was given to the Falls here",
>
>Hmm..How did Tazendra's memories of her own funeral end up in the
>staff? Even with a friendly bend-and-half-twist of the imagination,
>one is hard pressed to admit that a dead person's memories of ones
>own funeral are somewhat hazy, to say the least. ;-)

In being brief, I gave an impression which I did not intend;  I do
not mean to suggest that the staff has memories of events at which
it was not present.  I merely meant that Morrolan knew that
Tazendra had been given to the Falls by hearing of this event from
either those who performed the ritual, or secondhand from a friend
of one of those friends.  It still would have made the moment
emotionally fraught, given that he was bearing a remnant of the
woman who had died and been given a funeral with full honors due
her at that exact spot.  And in addition, there may very well have
been a memory of that statue in the staff, since she *had* seen
the dzur statue while she was still very much alive, and he was
presumably accessing those memories when he talked about fighting
off bandits at that place.

See, it all fits.

Although now that I think about it, one could further hypothesize
that the link to a staff is continuous despite distance ... but
that would still not explain a memory of events that took place
after the wizard's death (which would presumably sever the link).

>Nice idea, though, with Tazendra's staff in Morollan's possession.

<*bows*>