Dragaera

Morrolan at Blood River

Sat Aug 28 11:23:29 PDT 2004

From: "David Silberstein" <davids at Kithrup.COM>
> On Sat, 28 Aug 2004, Henrik Jonsson wrote:
>
> >From: "David Silberstein" <davids at Kithrup.COM>
> >
> >> Note that the following contains a huge spoiler for /Sethra
> >> Lavode/.
> >

> >Spoiler space...for Sethra Lavode.

> In being brief, I gave an impression which I did not intend;  I do
> not mean to suggest that the staff has memories of events at which
> it was not present.  I merely meant that Morrolan knew that
> Tazendra had been given to the Falls by hearing of this event from
> either those who performed the ritual, or secondhand from a friend
> of one of those friends.  It still would have made the moment
> emotionally fraught, given that he was bearing a remnant of the
> woman who had died and been given a funeral with full honors due
> her at that exact spot.  And in addition, there may very well have
> been a memory of that statue in the staff, since she *had* seen
> the dzur statue while she was still very much alive, and he was
> presumably accessing those memories when he talked about fighting
> off bandits at that place.
>
> See, it all fits.
>
> Although now that I think about it, one could further hypothesize
> that the link to a staff is continuous despite distance ... but
> that would still not explain a memory of events that took place
> after the wizard's death (which would presumably sever the link).

Indeed, it does fit. However, that's quite a bit of interpretation
>from the one mention of the name "Sethra" by Morollan by the Dzur
icon. Another interpretation, if I can be so bold to present one
in this illustrious company, could be that Morollan was raised mainly
in the East. So, he might not have noticed the "Dzur" look on Sethra's
face before and only now, by the bank of Blood River, in the face of
a "real" dzur, makes the connection, and maybe starts to wonder if
there is something that Sethra hasn't told him about herself.(*)

(Granted, there's bound to be a million things Sethra hasn't
mentioned to Morollan about herself)

While this isn't a very elaborate scheme, it does explain why
he'd say "Sethra" and not "Tazendra"... I know your theory does
explain that as well, but in a fairly roundabout way if I may say so.
(Mine is quite roundabout as well, I can freely admit that. :-)

(*: I just noticed that this sentence was awfully long. I do apologize)

/Henrik