Dragaera

New to the list...(Impressions after re-reading it all)

FRIEDA2133 at aol.com FRIEDA2133 at aol.com
Sat Aug 28 15:46:48 PDT 2004

Hi,

On the subject of the difference between Paresh's story in Teckla Chapter 2
and what
Paarfi says happened in Sethra Lavode page 119 hardback.  When I read Sethra
Lavode, I
thought Paresh was totally lying and trying to scare Vlad.   I do not
remember Paresh ever
using sorcery in Teckla at all.   If he was so skilled in sorcery, why didn't
Paresh could hurl blasts in Chapter 16.

Now I wonder if both stories are mostly true from a "certain point of view"
(Obi-Wan Kenobi
I think).

In Five Hundred Years After paperback, Tazendra is talking about "certain
spells she
had been attempting to duplicate from ill-kept notebooks handed down from her
family".
Paresh says "She had tomes on Sorcery, Baronet.  A library full of them."
For a  poor
Teckla ill-kept notebooks might seem like tomes.  If Tazendra could not get
the spells
to work, Paresh would not have been able to either.  If Paresh figured out
how to
teleport, he might have thought he could do the other spells too and that he
could
just not see the results.

In Teckla before Paresh's story, Vlad says "I don't know that I understand
all of it, but
I'll give it to you as I remember it and you can decide for yourself."   Vlad
is
remembering what he can of the story.  Paresh is remembering the parts of the
conversation that he wants to remember.

The only line that I now think is a lie is when Paresh says "It exploded
against the far
wall behind me in a mass of flame and smoke,".

Heh.  I had a strange thought while rereading parts of Teckla.  When Vlad
first sees
Paresh, near end of Chapter 1, he cannot figure out his House.  Yendi????  Pel
in disguise and spying.  Pel would know the story of the Teckla and Aerich.
No,
surely Khaavren would have recognized Pel disguised as a Teckla and the
whole plot the book Yendi would not have taken place if Pel were still alive.

And Steven Brust has said something like no one else is anyone else.

I hope to get back to some soul-searching (there are so many of them) as soon
as
I re-read parts of Dragon,  and Taltos (section on Morrolan at Blood River)

Bye.

Linda G.