Dragaera

genetics and the soul pararectal!

Sat Sep 11 11:18:08 PDT 2004

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004, K Kuhn wrote:

> Mark A Mandel wrote:
> <snip>
>
> > Well, there were originally something like 33 Houses, only 16 of which,
> > plus the Jhereg, survived to form the Empire. For all we know, there
> > COULD have originally been a genetic House Jhereg. And if there was,
> > some of their genes might have wound up to the bouillabaisse that is the
> > "modern" House Jhereg.
>
> Is there any textevd for when the Cycle (as in the version existing in
> the Paths of the Dead) came about?  Ie, did it originally have 33
> different Houses, and the Cycle got shorter as the Houses died off, or
> did it come into being after the Houses stabilized at the current 17?
>
> If the first option, does that mean that the Phoenix could go extinct
> without affecting the Cycle much, it's just the Athyra Emperor gets
> followed by a Dragon Emperor?
>
> With the 2nd option, does that mean that the Cycle might have come about
> around the same time as the Orb, and if so, was the Cycle also designed
> to protect against the Jenoine?

I'm of the opinion that the Cycle is a feature of the universe anterior
to the gods (see the Paarfiad for a representation of the latter's view
of the former), and that the n-17 tribes that didn't make it lacked its
protection so were doomed.  Maybe they had Terran animal genes and
offended the universe's sense of rightness...