Dragaera

Ying xiong, aka Hero

Chris Olson - SunPS Chrisf.Olson at Sun.COM
Tue Sep 21 14:37:34 PDT 2004

> I haven't seen any commentary here on this yet.  I liked
> the very cool visuals.  The soundtrack was good as well.

Good movie.  One of the prettiest I've seen.  And
the various ways they juxtaposed the action with the
setting and colors was striking.

> And I did find myself thinking that we were watching
> several Dzurlords going up against a Dragon.  I suppose
> it ought to be argued that assassination isn't Dzurlike,
> but really, I think it can be counter-argued that the
> assassinations attempts, as depicted, were performed in
> the most heroic manner imaginable (it would be a spoiler
> to explain, but those who have seen it probably know
> what I am talking about), as opposed to the way a Jhereg
> would do it, which would be as stealthily and as sneakily
> as possible.

I think they used a poor term.  It wasn't assassination,
it was regicide.  Now, how many Dzurlords have gone tromping
up Dzur Mountain, cleaving through untold dangers to reach
the Enchantress for the opportunity to be turned into a teckla?
I'd have to agree, the characters were rather Dzurlike. :)

> Didn't like the moral tone of the ending, but I doubt most
> of the Western world would.

I did like the moral tone (which reminded me of Antoly<sp>
in the musical Chess), but I didn't much care for the way
the Emperor was carrying out his unification.  Nice idea,
lousy execution.

> Although it would probably have
> a certain amount of resonance for Dragaerans, and make them
> think of Kieron, except that while Kieron unified the Empire,
> he wasn't also the first Emperor.

Hmm... I wonder how the Teckla would feel about it....

Chris (Whose been in a "Tekla Have Rights, Too!" mood today:)