Dragaera

Ying xiong, aka Hero

David Silberstein davids at Kithrup.COM
Tue Sep 21 15:32:00 PDT 2004

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004, Chris Olson - SunPS wrote:

>I think they used a poor term.  It wasn't assassination,
>it was regicide.  Now, how many Dzurlords have gone tromping
>up Dzur Mountain, cleaving through untold dangers to reach
>the Enchantress for the opportunity to be turned into a teckla?
>I'd have to agree, the characters were rather Dzurlike. :)

Good point.  Regicide.

>> Didn't like the moral tone of the ending, but I doubt most
>> of the Western world would.
>
>I did like the moral tone (which reminded me of Antoly<sp>
>in the musical Chess), but I didn't much care for the way
>the Emperor was carrying out his unification.  Nice idea,
>lousy execution.

But I thought that *was* the moral - since his intentions were
sufficiently "noble", implementing them was worth any number of
massacres.

As I've said elsewhere, my view of the King of Qin/Duke of Ch'in is
probably hopelessly tainted by having read Barry Hughart's /Bridge
of Birds/, where he is very much not noble nor nice..