Dragaera

Ying xiong, aka Hero

Tue Sep 21 20:22:15 PDT 2004

>And I did find myself thinking that we were watching
>several Dzurlords going up against a Dragon. (*snip*)
>
>Of course, the multiple storylines made me think that the
>*story* was being told by someone very like a Yendi, or
>for that matter, our Historian of the House of the Hawk,
>Paarfi of Roundwood.

I agree that Broken Sword and Flying Snow were definitely Dzurlords, but
not Nameless.  A Dzurlord wouldn't be able to stand taking a crafty way
into the castle when there was a perfectly good, nigh-invincible army to
fight your way through.

So what house is Nameless from?  Yendi? He's certainly clever enough for
it, but no Yendi would be self-sacrificing enough to give up his plot and
his life (in that order) for a "greater good".  Hawk?  Maybe; he has great
powers of observation and story telling ability, and we've never met a Hawk
warrior so we don't know how one would fight.  I think an argument could be
made for Lyorn, pointing to Aerich's assumption of a different identity and
patience in plotting his revenge while keeping to tradition.  Of course, I
have a hard time seeing a Lyorn tell a tale so craftily.

So, Nameless is clever enough to craft a good story and think on his feet
when his plan starts to unravel, has a care for honor and tradition and
willing to sacrifice himself for an ideal, is good with a sword, but not
foolhardy enough to take on an army single-handed and has strong powers of
observation.  I think there's only one choice:  Tiassa

>Didn't like the moral tone of the ending, but I doubt most
>of the Western world would.  .

Actually I think you could draw parallels between the moral tone and the
neocon agenda: forcing a political ideal on other peoples and choosing
security over freedom, which a lot of Americans appear to go for.

Mark