Dragaera

SKJB / Dream Cafe' swag ideas

Matthew Klahn mklahn at mac.com
Wed Dec 8 15:58:46 PST 2004

On Wednesday, December 08, 2004, at 05:24PM, Jerry Friedman <jerry_friedman at yahoo.com> wrote:

>--- Matthew Klahn <mklahn at mac.com> wrote:
>
>> Tongue-in-Cheek Disclaimer: I'm not a search engine, nor do I play one
>> on TV. Usage of resources like urbandictionary.com, dict.org and
>> google.com is highly recommended to everyone.
>
>I wouldn't have thought to look at urbandictionary.com, which I
>think of as a source for gangster and faux-gangster slang--but
>obviously there's more there.  In a nutshell, the reason I asked
>instead of searching is that I was guessing it was limited to a
>pretty small group, whose Web presence I don't know my way
>around, and thus would be hard for me to find.

No problem. I didn't mean anything by what I said; just feeling snarky, I guess.

urbandictionary is actually quite a nice little resource, much like wikipedia (which, I'll admit, I didn't even think of consulting). While a lot of definitions are quite useless, the good ones usually float to the top, and at least give you an idea of what a term means. It does lack nuance and efficiency, though; you might have to read 10-12 entries to get a real idea of what a term means. I think that at some point, editors could come through and collapse a bunch of the entries for a particular term into a single, efficient entry.

Matthew Klahn