Dragaera

A Linguistic Note

David Dyer-Bennet dd-b at dd-b.net
Wed Dec 15 15:17:43 PST 2004

Steve Simmons <scs at lokkur.dexter.mi.us> writes:

> On Wed, Dec 15, 2004 at 01:51:21PM -0600, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
>
>> [English is] widely reported to be among the hardest of the alphabetic
>> languages (let's not get into the difficulty of becoming literate in
>> chinese!), actually.  And I don't believe "spelling" is a standard
>> school subject much of anywhere else.
>
> I can believe that.  When I was studying Russian and found out that
> things are spelled like they're pronounced and pronounced like they're
> spell, it was heavenly.

When I took Russian in college, we did all the funny sounds and the
funny writing (both typeset and hand-written) the first week.  And it
was never much of a problem after that.

German was even simpler -- fewer strange sounds, fewer strange
letters.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, <mailto:dd-b at dd-b.net>, <http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/>