Dragaera

The pronunciation of "jhereg"

Mark A. Mandel thnidu at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 5 19:30:22 PST 2005

Steve gives the pronunciation of "jhereg" with the stress on the second
syllable (pronunciation guide in _Jhereg_;
http://dragaera.info/encyclopedia/data/pg-test/#LETTERJ), but in the spell that
Vlad uses to make his initial contact with Rocza it is evidently on the first
syllable (http://www.speakeasy.org/~mamandel/filks/RoczasSong.html):

Come to me, blood of my House. Join me, hunt with me, find me.

Let the winds of Jungle's night
Stay the hunter in her flight.
Evening's breath to witch's mind
Let our fates be intertwined.
Jhereg! Do not pass me by!
Show me where thy soul doth lie!

(Jhereg, Ace edition, sixth printing, February 1987, pages 225-226, copyright
1983 by Stephen K. Z. Brust; typo corrected)

But there is no contradiction between these. THEY ARE TWO DIFFERENT WORDS.

The fact that we are reading these books in English tends to conceal the
different languages appearing in them. "Jhereg" is presumably a Dragaeran word,
like the names of all the Houses except Hawk, Orca, and Dragon, as well as the
other unfamiliar animals like kethna and darr. But the spell is "a close
variant" (page 235, Epilogue) of the spell that Vlad used to make a bargain
with Loiosh's mother, and that "was an old spell, my grandfather had said, and
had been used in the East for thousands of years, unchanged" (page 5,
Prologue). And therefore that spell was almost certainly in an Eastern
language, specifically, Fenarian. Even if the Dragaeran word (translated by
Brust as) "jhereg" and the corresponding Fenarian word are related and similar,
they would not have to be identical. The word "dragon" has the identical
spelling and meaning in English and in French, but the pronunciations are quite
different.

What's more, Fenarian is Hungarian, and all Hungarian words are accented on the
first syllable. I know this professionally, but you can find a sufficiently
authoritative statement in the Afterword (or whatever it's called) of _The Sun,
the Moon, and the Stars_.

Furthermore, the spell is an older form of Fenarian. Tradition holds it to have
been unchanged for thousands of years, and Brust-the-translator's
(http://www.speakeasy.org/~mamandel/Cracks-and-Shards/cracks.html#Brusts) use
of the archaic English words "thy" and "doth" and the transitive verb "stay"
supports this assertion. (Actually, that would make it more likely to be
similar to the Dragaeran word, but even with the greatly slowed pace of
language change we see on Dragaera, a time depth of over 200,000 years is
enough to account for any difference we like.)

-- Dr. Whom, Consulting Linguist, Grammarian,
   Orthoepist, and Philological Busybody
   a.k.a. Mark A. Mandel
   http://cracksandshards.com
   a Steven Brust Dragaera fan website
   [This text prepared with Dragon NaturallySpeaking.]