Dragaera

duh!

Tue Feb 1 08:49:38 PST 2005

--- Shawn Burns <s1burns at ucsd.edu> wrote:

> [...]

In my opinion, "beg the question" is "skunked", as some language
writer puts it.  You can't use it with the old meaning except in very
unusual contexts (alt.usage.english, for instance), and you can't
use it with the new meaning because *someone* will object.  Instead
I use synonyms: "argue in a circle" or "assume what needs to be
proven" for the old meaning, and "raise the question" or even "beg
for the question" for the new one.

Eventually the new meaning may totally replace the old and become
standard (see "hectic").  But it will become unanimous over my dead
body.

Jerry Friedman might mean "over my dead soul".