Dragaera

Defender always wins? (Was: Re: on contradictions and such)

Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Tue Feb 8 10:02:52 PST 2005

I'm a fencer.   Quite a bit of fencing strategy is in appearing to give
your opponent an opening to attack while I am confident that I can not
only parry the attack, but repose it into a win for me.

Muhammad Ali was known for taunting his opponents, dropping his hands, and
appearing vulnerable.   When the opponent commits, he becomes vulnerable.

I've seen Champ Bailey do the same thing in the NFL, purposefully backing
away to make it look as though the receiver he was covering was more free
than he really was.   When he played for the first time in snow this year
it didn't work as he was not quite able to close the gap as quickly as he
thought.