Dragaera

nuclear terminology

Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Fri Feb 11 19:01:53 PST 2005

  [Jeff G.]
  Reread this part:

   It is, as you doubtless realize, based on the terminology used. Atomic
   weapons is the term used to refer to the first fission weapons used,
  the implosion type known as the Fat Man, and the "gun" type known as the Little Boy. "Nuclear" is the term commonly used to refer to the more powerful fusion weapons.

  [Howard Brazee]
  But I don't realize this at all.   In fact, I have never come across that distinction.   When you mentioned it, I pulled out a bunch of dictionaries to find out if I was missing something.  The dictionary definitions didn't seem to indicate that.

  [Jeff G.]
  I was using the words that some people use, especially the layperson, to differentiat between fission and fusion weapons.

  Jeff G.
  [Howard Brazee]

  Some people implies more than one person.   Maybe even enough to make it to a dictionary.   It would be nice to know if this were true.    Language changes, and I would like to keep up.
  [Jeff G.]
  I never disputed that they all use a nuclear reaction, wiether it is a fission, boosted fission, fusion, or fission-fusion-fission device. I was staying out of the science of it, as the difference between the types of devices was irrelevent to most people. Every definition I cited, including the ones you provided, illucidated on the two terms, and did so in a manner nearly identical to the way I originally did.

  [Howard Brazee]
  And I never had a disagreement with this part of your discussion.