Dragaera

nuclear terminology

Mon Feb 14 13:16:44 PST 2005

--- Howard Brazee <howard at brazee.net> wrote:

>   [Jeff G.]
>   Reread this part:
>
>    It is, as you doubtless realize, based on the terminology used.
> Atomic
>    weapons is the term used to refer to the first fission weapons used,
>   the implosion type known as the Fat Man, and the "gun" type known as
> the Little Boy. "Nuclear" is the term commonly used to refer to the more
> powerful fusion weapons.

If people are really saying this, they're wrong.  I suspect some
of the confusion may have come from "thermonuclear", which really
does mean fusion, as well as from the coincidence that people
have mentioned: changing from the word "atomic" to "nuclear" and
also changing from fission to fusion as the mainstay of the American
nuclear arsenal.

It's probably too late for "quantum leap" and "exponential", but
I think the "atomic" line can be held.

I got somebody mad at me on another list by arguing about physics
without revealing that I have a Ph.D. in it and teach it (the guy
felt ambushed), so consider it revealed.

Jerry Friedman