Dragaera

Whip me, Daddy (was Re: Conditioning)

Paul Echeverri gomi at pollywog.com
Wed Feb 16 09:57:07 PST 2005

John Klein wrote:

>On Tue, 15 Feb 2005, Charmian wrote:
>
>@> But this makes it in some ways less interesting, because IRL s/m is
>@> generally understood as a psychological trait/taste preference, rather
>@> than a biological thing.
>
>You know, I think most of the BDSM enthusiasts I know would disagree with
>you. Although, honestly, it's difficult or perhaps even impossible to
>disentagle genetic predisposition from behavioral conditioning anyway.

With respect, most BDSM enthusiasts are not credible sources of
information about the psychology of their enthusiasms. There is a
significant membership overlap between Usenet sexual abuse recovery
newsgroups and BDSM newsgroups. This overlap is either never discussed
or its interest hotly denied, sometimes to the point of absurdity -- I
recall at least one claim that the poster's abuse had *nothing to do*
with their BDSM interests, while discussing a 'scene' that closely
replicated the circumstances of the abuse as described in the recovery
newsgroup.

pe