Dragaera

Kushiel's Dart

Wed Feb 16 10:09:13 PST 2005

On Wed, Feb 16, 2005 at 10:00:46AM -0800, Jerry Friedman <jerry_friedman at yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- Matthew Hunter <matthew at infodancer.org> wrote:
> > nor does that aspect of her
> > personality grow or change detectably.
> Somewhat unfortunate, but they're notbooks where you look for depth
> of any kind.  Another complaint I have about her sexuality
> is that it's repetitive.  Silk ropes, whip, X-acto knife, orgasm.

That's part of what bothered me about it.  I consider it a flaw
because the other traits did in fact exhibit growth; think of her
relationship with Joscelin.

> > But everything else about
> > the series ranks very, very highly.
> Not to my taste.  I enjoyed it, but I had to overlook the writing
> style with its endless malapropisms, as well as the Germanish,
> Jewishish, Irishish, etc. cultures.  Unlike Mark, I couldn't mention
> it in the same sentence as _The Book of the New Sun_.  (I know he
> wasn't comparing prose, philosophical depth, etc.)

Actually, I liked the pseudocultures.  I thought they worked well
to add depth and interest to the story, as well as showing a
fairly in-depth knowledge of the varied mythologies present in
the area.  Sort of like "How would this slice of history have
looked to someone actually living in it, if some of the myths had
a basis in reality?"

--
Matthew Hunter (matthew at infodancer.org)
Public Key: http://matthew.infodancer.org/public_key.txt