Dragaera

evolution in language: OT.now on topic

Fri Feb 18 09:45:34 PST 2005

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005, Jose Marquez wrote:

> Philip Hart wrote:
>
> >What's wrong with "cedilla", except that we pronounce one "l"?
> >

> Nothing; but since I'm just a linguistic hobbyist, I'd like confirmation
> from the real linguists in the list. The wikipedia article didn't make
> it explicit enough for me.

I don't know what the fancy educated people use, but you'll find
"cedilla" in your American Heritage dictionary.

> >Amusingly, the English words I know with a cedilla come from French.

"Facade" comes to mind - that's also an acceptable spelling.
Or you might add a soupçon of butter, though I always use more than that.

The French call the creature in question a "cedille", which is also the
name of a cool classical cd label:
http://www.cedillerecords.org/cgi-bin/index.cgi