Dragaera

The Man from Shemhaza (SPOILERS)

melalvai at kemenel.org melalvai at kemenel.org
Sat Feb 26 17:14:29 PST 2005

Linda wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thank you for putting the word SPOILER in the subject line.  I did
> not even risk opening the emails.

Seems like that particular warning helped out others. I sure knew it was
necessary!

> The Song "The Man from Shemhaza" is a study in contradictions,
> impossibilities and two-sidedness (Is that a word?).  Plenty of clues
> there...if they mean anything.

Ah. Now it all makes perfect sense. Now I feel like the person who has to
have the joke explained to her.

> Does that help, Rachel?

Immensely.

> I thought it was nice that Steven had created a character whose short
> name was a registered trademark...then at the end I thought it was
> not so nice.  I wondered what it meant.  I wonder if those at
> the registered trademark wondered too.

I caught that! I did!!

Ok, I have to tell an embarrassing story about my legendary (and
inherited) obtuseness. My daughter & I participated in a Toddler Injury
Study years ago (when she was a toddler). Part of the study required us to
visit them for an interview. They put us in a waiting room that was
clearly not designed with toddlers in mind for 20 minutes. Turns out, that
WAS the interview. We were videotaped and it was designed to be as boring
as possible and contain many things that would be dangerous for a toddler
to play with (only they had been modified so they weren't really
dangerous). I was so excited because I had noticed one of them! There was
a lamp with a huge lightbulb and I thought that would be awfully hot if it
were turned on. My pride was deflated enormously when I learned there were
FIFTEEN dangerous things, including a big old butcher knife (with its edge
dulled--but it didn't matter; I hadn't even SEEN it).

It's a wonder either of us survived so long (like I said, I came by my
obtuseness fairly, and have done my duty in passing it along).

> Hopefully, Steven will write further stories about The Man from
> Shemhaza.  Based on Liavek, there is a good chance that may happen
> and therefore you should really read this story sometime.

I have the Liaveks, and will read them now.

Thanks!
Rachel