Dragaera

remove request - A HOWTO!

David Dyer-Bennet dd-b at dd-b.net
Wed Mar 2 10:12:01 PST 2005

Jot Powers <books at bofh.com> writes:

> On Wed, Mar 02, 2005 at 06:25:37AM -0800, Jeffrey Kiok wrote:
>> Remove me too please.
>
> Perhaps I was too loquacious in my reply to this originally.

> address you are subscribed from.
>
> Failing that, I suspect if you send email to dd-b at dd-b.net
> (and NOT the whole list) and he'll take care of you.  That's
> how I do it on my lists.

If the normal address doesn't work, it most likely means that the
exact form of your email address as given in the "envelope sender" has
changed behind your back (ISPs do this sometimes) since you
subscribed.  In that case, if you have a mailer that supports the
right standards, the "unsubscribe" button in your mailer will work
(because the exact unsubscribe address is encoded in a header in each
message from the list to you).  If you don't have such a button, then
use the "view full headers" option in your mailer, and find the
"List-Unsubscribe:" header, and take the address out of the HTML
mailto given on that line, and send email to it.

Also, remember that you have to get the confirmation message back, and
you have to reply to that confirmation message, for the unsubscribe to
take effect.  If you can't receive email at the address, you can't
unsubscribe it (but on the other hand, you aren't being bothered by
copies of list email to that address either, so you probably don't
care; if it's bouncing it'll be dropped automatically).

I can, if necessary, unsubscribe people by brute force from here, but
I try to avoid doing so except as a last resort.  Apart from workload
issues (and there aren't actually enough people needing unsubscribe
help to make that a *big* issue), it's also more error-prone, and I'd
hate to muck up anybody else while unsubscribing someone.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, <mailto:dd-b at dd-b.net>, <http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/>