Dragaera

Petrol Prices

Mon Mar 21 12:19:18 PST 2005

I should have stated more carefully "nationally subsidized", since many
individual cities sponsor their own public transit. But many don't have
anything on the scale of New York. San Diego has a short-route trolley
service. Los Angeles has finally built a partial underground. The San
Francisco Bay area has a larger network, since major population centers are
so close together and there are few options for driving into the center of
those areas. But when I was in England last year I was struck by the
popularity of the rails, something that I just don't see here. They seemed,
to me, to go everywhere and made my travel around the country fairly
convenient. In the US we have no interest in using trains as even a
secondary means of transportation, much less a primary one, so the
"infrastructure" seemed significant to me. But it could very well be reduced
>from some even higher level that I never saw, so to someone else it might
seem like it is decaying; or the pressure for public transit might be so
great that it seems like there isn't enough infrastructure. But to someone
who lives in a place without what might even be a minimal infrastructure
level for England, it was impressive. Maybe England is changing into an
automobile culture, and so will feel the impact of high gas prices in the
same way the US does; but it sure didn't feel that way when I was there. I
can't imagine that a place with as much public transportation available can
really be as impacted by high gas prices as the automobile culture of the
US. Of course, I'm generalizing from one example here, but everybody
generalizes from one example. At least I do.

And my comment about 350 miles every week wasn't about traveling long
distances so much as a statement about how frequently I drive; I think we
drive so frequently because we have no other options, not because the
distances are necessarily longer than other places. My trips are only about
50 miles around, which isn't very long, but it is regular. Some people make
longer regular trips; some shorter. But most make regular trips. It is a
culture of suburbs, where few if any people actually travel to the city
center, where public transit is most common.

Cheers,

Shawn