Dragaera

height project(was Re: picture)

Wed Apr 6 21:06:56 PDT 2005

Sethra wrote:

>On Apr 6, 2005 4:25 PM, Philip Hart <philiph at slac.stanford.edu> wrote:
>

>>On Wed, 6 Apr 2005, Peter H. Granzeau wrote:
>>

>>>Aliera is about 6 feet [tall...]
>>>

>>Do we know this?  I think we'd know if Vlad was as tall or taller than A.,
>>so that would set an upper bound on his height.
>>

>I thought it was mentioned (however tall A is) that A was "a head"
>taller than Vlad, and that she was concidered short.
>
>Who wants to do a research project?! Look in all he books for any
>mention of height and we can figure the math to the closest
>approximation possible. Like those stupid "If Larry was next to Sue
>and Sue was across from the fat one and Carl is fat... Who is across
>from Carl?"

It seems to me that I've seen Aliera described as around six feet tall
in one of the books.  I haven't found it yet, but then, I got my wife
hooked, and I'm now missing several of the 'Vladiad'.

I do know that in chapter one, page 20 of Jhereg, Vlad, speaking of
Kragar, says, "I studied his 7-foot frame sitting comfortably facing me
against the back wall of my office."  Kragar is notoriously
non-descript, so we can safely assume (?) that seven feet tall is rather
average.

In Jhereg, chapter seven, page 81, Vlad observes, "His cousin Aliera,
however, was the shortest Dragaeran I have ever known; she could have
been mistaken for a tall human."

Once again, in Jhereg, chapter 11, page 135, Vlad, making observations
about Mellar, "He had been hard to spot because there was nothing
particularly distinctive about him.  He stood just under seven feet tall."

I can't find Taltos, and I'm really curious to re-read the initial
description of Aliera as Verra brings her back to her body in the Halls
of Judgement.  Is that where I seem to remember her being described as
around six feet tall?  Someone help. :-)

I realize that this is bringing us nowhere closer to realizing Vlad's
height, but it entertained me for a couple hours...heh.  I've been paid.
--
Life, thy name is Irony ...Or, something like that.