Dragaera

Sethra and Morrolan

Fri Apr 8 00:07:53 PDT 2005

Hmmm.  I agree that the excerpt from Taltos doesn't really seem to mean
anything, but Vlad's conversation with Teldra seems more important:

3)Vlad and Teldra
"Oh."  Teldra smiled.  "Yes, that one is true."
"Oh, to have been there to witness that conversation.  I don't suppose you
went along?"
"Hardly."
"Did he ever say what happened?"
"No.  But it can't have been anything too horrid; they've been friends ever
since."
"Oh yeah?  Does she pay him tribute?"
"I don't know," said Teldra, smiling.
"I'll be sure to ask him...."
(Issola, p. 138)

I really enjoy the fact that Mr. Brust is often very subtle about how he
uses language.
Teldra does not respond by saying "Oh, she gave him Blackwand and that was
it."
It sounds to me that, whether Sethra and Morrolan are or aren't more than
friends and allies, that Vlad is at least joking about something here.
Notice Vlad's use of the present tense in "Does she pay him tribute?"  Also
notice Teldra's response: "I don't know," said Teldra, smiling.  It just
sounds like she knows exactly what he's joking about, and the fact that
she's "smiling" as she responds suggested to me that she knows something
more about it that she isn't saying here.  Anyone else think so?
Just a few thoughts.

--Steve