Dragaera

Food & trade

Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Thu May 5 11:23:40 PDT 2005

In our world, quite a lot of our early trade was about food.    It was
profitable to send out multiple ships and loose most of them with most
of their crews, to bring back a ship full of black pepper.    In
Dragaera, spices can be easily carried via sorcery, while big stuff
might be better off with traditional ttransport.

We have thousands of varieties of wine and cheese that have been
developed in various local regions.   But despite these, isolated
villages have long traditions of having little variety in their food
choices.   Some things grow better locally.

I wonder how much problems Dragaerans have with drunkenness and drugs.
It is interesting to read about how gin and sloe gin took over England
for a generation or two.    One thing that contributes to societies'
unwillingness to have legal drugs happened when servants and employees
started driving the rich around.   Certainly you don't want someone
teleportating you around without his full facilities.