Dragaera

OT: Cool Stuff with bubbly (was RE: Dzur draft finished)

Wed Jul 6 13:38:57 PDT 2005

--- "Mark A. Mandel" <thnidu at yahoo.com> wrote:
> What about the ice, brazier, and tongs that they use
> in Dragaera? Has that
> combo ever been standard anywhere in our world?

Yes -- basically, before decent corking was figured
out.  It was also a long-time standard for 'bubbling
wines', champagne and the like -- cork won't stand up
to that sort of pressure from INSIDE the bottle, so
instead the bottle was created with an extra-long neck
and 'corked' by melting the glass of the neck again so
that it sealed itself.  To open the bottle, heat the
end of the neck in the brazier, apply ice (or in
Dragaera, a feather -- which I presume is wet, since
ice is a rarity, but cool water will cause the radical
change in expansion and have the same effect) and
watch the neck crack and pop off...

S. Thomas Crain
Author-in-Training

Discover Yahoo!