Dragaera

Language drift WAS: Re: Vlad and Kiera- Warning:discussion of

James Burbidge jamesandmary.burbidge
Sun Aug 21 21:32:58 PDT 2005

On Sun, 2005-08-21 at 16:22, pkeck wrote:
> religion/OT
>
> On Sat, Aug 20, 2005 at 07:06:12AM -0400, Sethra wrote:
> > and as to homosexuality... girl on girl is discussed in the bible as
> > being wrong. i might have the direct scripture wrong (and i don't know
> > where to find it), but it says something like women shall not grind
> > together... i am sorry if this has already been answered, but the
>
> I have a plain text version of the Bible which is handy for searching.  I
> found this line in Luke, which could be the line you're thinking of:
>
> 17:35 Two women shall be grinding together; the one shall be taken,
> and the other left.
>
> This whole chapter is a little hard for me to decipher, BUT it seems like
> more of a "do what God says and you'll be saved" kind of thing, seemingly
> referring to the Rapture and how good people will be taken up to heaven when
> the Son returns.  I found this after a Google:

Lukan form:

"Esontai duo alethousai epi to auto, he mia paralemphthestai he de
hetera aphethsetai".

This seems to be a Q saying, since there is a Matthean version which is
similar in general meaning but differs in detail ("Tote duo esontai en
to agro, eis paralambanetai kai eis aphietai; duo alethousai en to mylo,
mia paralambavetai kai mia aphietai")

Well, it's part of the "little apocalypse", and definitely uses the
forms of apocalyptic.  It would be "the Rapture" only to pre-Millenial
Dispensationalists.  (For most of the Church's history, it would refer
to the full-scale end of time at the Parousia.) Being "taken" could just
as easily refer to a negative as a positive event in context (although
the overall meaning would be similar, since there is a symmetry -- if
being left is bad, being taken is good, and vice versa).

It's usually taken in terms of its immediate meaning -- its "moral"
reading in tems of the traditional fourfold exegesis -- as referring to
the Chuch as a _corpus mixtum_.

It doesn't have anything to say to the point originally in issue.