Dragaera

Concerning Plurality

Davdi Silverrock davdisil at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 18:19:39 PST 2005

On 11/30/05, Howard Brazee <howard at brazee.net> wrote:
> Davdi Silverrock wrote:
>
> >Speaking of "should be"s, well, there *should be* some way of
> >signalling facetiousness and humor.
> >

> I'm not sure I agree.   Well, we have our Internet equivalences of
> winking, but I loved it when I read my first Hiaasen book.   I started
> off reading, then saying to my self, "is this funny?", for a while
> before deciding "yes, it is very funny indeed".
>
> Do you want Steve to tell us all of his jokes?   Or do you want to
> discover some of them during one read, more in another?

I think that sometimes it would help if he would drop the poker face,
once in a while, when confusion has in point of fact resulted rather
than amusement, and just say that he was joking.  For example, there's
the whole "Tsalmoth are giant land snails (or turtles)" debacle.

Come to think of it, there are still things that I'm not entirely
certain whether or not he (or one of his characters) was serious
about.  Such as norska only eating dragons that they have killed
themselves, to offer one example.