Dragaera

The Orca Spoiler - Time to let it go? (was Re: Proof Mario is Alive?...)

Mon Dec 5 09:59:20 PST 2005

umm  so what you are telling us is that you are ok with being the guy in
line to see Revenge of the Sith who tells a 7 year old that Aniken is Darth
Vader and that his son in gonna be Luke Skywalker.

I don't think that the fact that I have known a spoiler for 10 years makes
it any less a spoiler for the audience yet to read the various pieces out
there.  Heck at this point I'd think it's safe to assume that there were
children being born when Orca was released that may, in 6 years or so, get
to that book.  I think it'd be nice for us to leave them the magic that we
all came to on our own.

Or one more view on it - Had someone spoiled the Hobbit or the Lord of the
Rings for you before you read them?  Did you know Gandalf would die, or that
he'd get better?  I didn't and I am damn thankful that there was not, when I
first read those books, (books that were 30 years old at that point) someone
at my side, or in my e-mail telling me about pivotal plot points.

Just my views,
Rion