Dragaera

Twins

Fri Dec 9 17:53:11 PST 2005

Davdi Silverrock wrote:

> While there are no hits on "twins", booksearch does find 3 uses
> of"twin"; once as a synonym for "two", once as being short for "two
> identical", and once as being short for "identical copy". Perhaps a
> liberty taken by the translator, but also perhaps signifying that the
> *concept* of twins does exist.

> Thinking about it a bit, even if Dragaerans themselves never give
> birth to twins, they may be familiar with other species (including
> Easterners) that do sometimes give birth to twins.

That was, more or less, my point. I think it's pretty safe to assume
that Easterner's *do* have twins on occasion. (Given the idea that all
of Dragaera was originally an interstellar earth colony).

Dragaerans would be familiar with the concept, at least... And given the
rarity of twins, even on Earth, it's not unthinkable that Dragaerans
themselves even have them--in the same proportions that we do--and that
we have just never chanced to have heard about them in the books. They
are, after all, somewhat of a rarity on this planet, as well.

Majikjon