Dragaera

How will House Phoenix arise from the ashes?

Jon_Lincicum at stream.com Jon_Lincicum at stream.com
Fri Dec 16 15:01:43 PST 2005

Gaertk at aol.com
12/16/05 02:47 PM

Jon_Lincicum at stream.com
cc

Subject
Re: How will House Phoenix arise from the ashes?

Jon_Lincicum at stream.com writes:

>>>I'd say it's the other way around, as the Jhereg is part of the
nobility.

>>And the Orca aren't?
>
>Orca have titles, but they aren't connected to land (see Vlad's
description of a clerical error in _Orca_).  Jhereg titles
>are (see Vlad talking to Paresh in _Teckla_).

Generalizing from one example doesn't always work.

SOME Orca titles are empty. Doubtless many Jhereg titles are empty. (I
seem to remember that "Lostguard Cleft" (Cawti's title) is imaginary, but
I don't know if this is affirmatively stated in the texts, or just
implied.)

But we know that many Orca DO, in fact, have land. Reega, Vonnith, Endra,
Fyres, etc

By and large, the sentiment of the books is that the Jhereg are the lowest
of the low when it comes to the "noble" classes. Land ownership or not,
their status is definitely rock-bottom (saving the Teckla. And Easterners.
And Serioli (who apparently feel superior to everyone else).

Majikjon