Dragaera

Concerning Plurality

Mark A. Mandel thnidu at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 20 19:54:03 PST 2005

--- Davdi Silverrock <davdisil at gmail.com> wrote:

> > I'm not sure I agree.   Well, we have our Internet equivalences of

"equivalents"

> > winking, but I loved it when I read my first Hiaasen book.   I started
> I think that sometimes it would help if he would drop the poker face,
> once in a while, when confusion has in point of fact resulted rather
> than amusement, and just say that he was joking.  For example, there's
> the whole "Tsalmoth are giant land snails (or turtles)" debacle.

No, SKZB never did that. What he did say was something like this: "I don't
want to give definite descriptions of everything before I need it, because
then I'd be stuck with them. If I said, for instance, that a tsalmoth was
a giant land snail that climbs trees and tries to capture its prey by
dropping down on it, then I'd be stuck with that description forever." It
was a purely hypothetical, contrary-to-fact example, which was then
misremembered and spread as a false rumor by readers of wherever he said
it.

The exact quote is somewhere in the list archive. I found it at one point
and posted it here earlier. If anyone can dig it up again, please do us
all a favor by adding it to the wiki page "Tsalmoth (animal)",
http://dragaera.wikicities.com/wiki/Tsalmoth_%28animal%29

mam/c&s