Dragaera

How much does Vlad *really* know about Kragar?

Davdi Silverrock davdisil at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 01:05:58 PST 2006

On 1/4/06, Maximilian Wilson <wilson.max at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/4/06, Jon Lincicum <lincicum at comcast.net> wrote:
> > We know that Vlad *likes* Kiera, but do we have any clue on how much he
> > *trusts* Kiera? At least before the events in /Orca/? (Or even after? ;-) )
>
> The fact that she appears in /Orca/, i.e. that Vlad gave her his
> location is spite of the Jhereg al-Hiraba against him, is telling. I
> can't actually think of where she appears outside of /Jhereg/ except
> for the scene in /Yendi/ where she's doing Sethra's dirty work; does
> he mention her among the goodbyes at the end of /Phoenix/?

Amazon "search inside" (of /The Book of Taltos/, containing /Taltos/
and /Phoenix/) says, near the end (indeed, last reference to her in
the book):

"Oh, and Kragar, say good-bye to Kiera the Thief for me. Tell her I
still owe her. On the other hand, I expect she can find me when she
wants to."

However, I see that you've forgotten that /Tatlos/ is also filled with
references to Kiera.  Including that she obtained burglary tools for
Vlad and trained him in their use.

> I certainly do get the impression that Vlad trusts her, for reasons he doesn't
> entirely understand.

Kiera got him started in the Organization. She's given him a lot of
time and support, starting when he was very very young, and I don't
think she's really asked for a whole lot in return.  Kinda like his
grandfather has, now that I think of it.  And I'm pretty sure she's
never overtly lied to him, although I think she's lied indirectly by
implication (I'm thinking of her "promise" to revenge him if Morrolan
kills him).

Psychologically, I think it entirely makes sense that he trusts her
completely, despite not knowing a whole lot about her or her
background.

And I think a similar argument could be made about why Vlad might
trust Kragar:  When they started out, Vlad didn't know much about
researching backgrounds, but while he worked with Kragar, Kragar
proved himself to be reliable (and unambitious).  Once Vlad moved up
in the Organization, I think he could well have continued to think
"Kragar is reliable (and unambitious)", and not felt any need to go
poking into Kragar's deep background.

On the other hand, it also works if Vlad did do the research at one
point, and stopped when he hit the first layer of cover story
(assuming that there is indeed a cover story).  Or maybe he dug until
he felt satisfied that he knew everything he needed to know.

I guess my point is that it can be made to work any of the above ways
because people aren't 100% consistent.  Vlad certainly isn't.