Dragaera

(Orca spoiler)

Jon_Lincicum at stream.com Jon_Lincicum at stream.com
Thu Jan 5 08:39:38 PST 2006

Maximilian Wilson wrote on 01/04/2006 10:06:08 PM:

> On 1/4/06, Jon Lincicum <lincicum at comcast.net> wrote:
> > At the same time, I'm not sure I can conceive of Sethra being in any
way
> > shape or form interested in secretly being Paarfi... Not that there's
> > anything not to like about Paarfi, understand, he just doesn't strike
me
> > as the type of person that Sethra would be willing to put with.
>
> This begs the question [wicked look]: what aspects of being Kiera does
> Sethra most enjoy? Having friendships, breaking the law, the challenge
> of high-tech (magic) theft, not killing people?
>
> Max

I could only say it's for the reasons she gives at the end of Orca, in
response to Vlad's question of "Why Kiera? Or rather, Sethra, why Kiera?"

I somehow doubt it's the lawbreaking aspect. She's had plenty of
opportunities to do that as Sethra.

Having friendships certainly isn't a problem for Sethra, either (see
Morrolan, Aliera, StY (pre-Yendi), Tazendra, and most notably Tukko).

I think challenge is the key.

When you've lived 200,000+ years and are a neigh-unto invincible sorceress
and general who can defeat any army on the battlefield, and contemptuously
annihilate the greatest Dzur Heroes who come charging up your mountain,
you probably are looking for ways to relieve your ennui. Being Kiera, and
limiting herself to that persona, gives her challenges in ways she
probably hasn't experienced as Sethra for the better part of the life of
the Empire. (I'm still dying to know what Sethra was like in the really
early days of the Empire. Was she always this badass? Or did she start out
as a naieve little sister to some important Dragonlord who helped found
the Empire?)

BTW: Did Sethra say that Kiera never killed people at all? Or just that
she wouldn't kill people in order to keep her true identity a secret? I
forget the exact phrasing she used... (Which could be important,
considering the first time Vlad met her (in /Taltos/) she was
participating in an assassination...)

Majikjon