Dragaera

the honing of Vlad (was Re: How much does Vlad *really* knowabout Kragar?)

Jon_Lincicum at stream.com Jon_Lincicum at stream.com
Tue Jan 10 07:51:26 PST 2006

"Scott Schultz" <scott at cjhunter.com>
Sent by: dragaera-bounces at dragaera.info
01/10/06 07:34 AM

"'Dragaera List'" <dragaera at dragaera.info>
cc

Subject
RE: the honing of Vlad (was Re: How much does Vlad *really*     knowabout
Kragar?)

>Vlad is not the first Easterner to learn sorcery. He's surely not the
first
>to learn of Elder Sorcery. If manipulating amorphia is an innate ability
of

I'm not sure this follows.

How often does a soul of the e'Kieron line get reincarnated as an
Easterner? And how often, when that *does* happen, does the Easterner
become aware of that fact while he's alive? And have friends close at hand
who can teach him to use those abilities without destroying himself?

Vlad may, in fact, be the first, and only, Easterner who's learned Elder
Sorcery. Seems likely, in fact.

>The thing about reincarnation is that it's a new start in life. Having a
>history doesn't change who you are now. Even if you have an especially
adept
>and powerful mentor like Sethra to lead you in a past-life regression,
doing
>so doesn't somehow transform you back into that person that you used to
be.
>It just gives you some insight into your soul's history and maybe some
>pointers on what mistakes to avoid this time around. Never mind the legal
>morass of souls moving around through different Houses in each life.

That's profound, man.

It's one of those stickier points to reincarnation that has always bugged
me about the concept.

>Here again, the abilty to create amorphia is something the soul has or
>doesn't have. Getting reincarnated into an E'Lanya wouldn't modify the
soul
>into one that has the ability, I wouldn't think. Rather, the soul would
have
>to be "newly minted" and on its first trip the the cycle of
reincarnation.
>That probably means that there aren't many such souls born nowadays.
>Frankly, if I was one of the Lords of Judgement I'd want it that way.
Over
>and over again, people who mess with amorphia directly (primarily by
Elder
>Sorcery) seem to just screw up the works for everyone else.

I can't think of many e'Kierons left to mint the souls, in fact. Aliera is
about it. (Which means Devera, obviously, can use the Elder Sorcery, not
that she seems to need this ability.)

Majikjon