Dragaera

the honing of Vlad

Kenneth Gorelick pulmon at mac.com
Tue Jan 10 08:27:49 PST 2006

On Jan 10, 2006, at 10:43 AM, Jon_Lincicum at stream.com wrote:

> K Kuhn <kknolte at ecity.net>
> Sent by: dragaera-bounces at dragaera.info
> 01/09/06 09:11 AM
> Please respond to
> kknolte at ecity.net

> Jay Smith <goannaman at gmail.com>
> cc
> Dragaera List <dragaera at dragaera.info>
> Subject
> Re: the honing of Vlad (was Re: How much does Vlad *really* know about
> Kragar?)
>

>> Question - what if it wasn't Vlad's 'soul' that let him create raw
>> Chaos, but the fact that he's an Easterner rather than a
>> Dragaeran?  And
>> Chaos is something the Phoenix have doings with, if you look at the
>> history of Zerika I.
>
> This seems quite unlikely, since:
>
> a) It means everything we've been told about chaos and the ability to
> control it is incorrect (or at least woefully incomplete).
> b) It doesn't explain how Aliera is able to use Elder Sorcery
> c) It doesn't explain why no other Easterners besides Vlad have
> ever been
> seen to use Elder Sorcery
> d) You'd think that if all Easterners could use Elder Sorcery, the
> Empire
> and the Orb wouldn't present much of a threat to the East.
>
> Majikjon
> listinfo/dragaera

I think you are mistaking elder sorcery with the ability to "create"
amorphia. It seems that anyone who is willing can use elder sorcery--
it was the only flavor available during the interregnum, and was used
by Sethra, Tazendra and Grita, among others. The ability to CREATE
amorphia appears to rest with the heirs of Kieron--to wit, Aliera and
Vlad but not Morrolon. Verra seems to have the power to channel and
control amorphia, as does Aliera. Vlad can be trained to do so. But
these talents are different from the ability to use amorphia for
spellcasting...unless there is something we don't know about the
ancestry of Tazendra and Grita (I grant we don't know anything about
Sethra's ancestors...
Ken