Dragaera

the honing of Vlad

Jon_Lincicum at stream.com Jon_Lincicum at stream.com
Wed Jan 11 11:53:19 PST 2006

Kendra Vorenkamp <kdvorenkamp at gmail.com>
Sent by: dragaera-bounces at dragaera.info
01/11/06 11:22 AM
Please respond to
kdvorenkamp at gmail.com

Davdi Silverrock <davdisil at gmail.com>
cc
Dragaera List <dragaera at dragaera.info>
Subject
Re: the honing of Vlad

>> Or maybe it's even worked both ways in different Cycles.
>>
>> Can anyone cite anywhere the mention of a Jhereg heir? I might be
>misremembering, but I thought that the entire Jhereg council (not just
the
>head) ran the Empire in lieu of having an Emperor figurehead.

Well, Zerika IV makes comments to Vlad in /Phoenix/ (page 314 of /The Book
of Taltos/) that says "Later, it was each House, through it's heir, which
ruled each House..."

While this is far from conclusive, the fact that she makes no exception
for the House Jhereg when making this statement is telling.

Also, in TPG, page 78 of the Trade Paperback: "...buy their way into
positions of power until they can pick their own emperor." Implies that it
is, indeed, an Emperor who rules in a Jhereg reign, not the whole council.

I don't remember any specific mention of a Jhereg heir, directly, however.

There is a Lord Beck mentioned, who came to Kana's little get-together,
but he's only noted as a "former house representative".

Majikjon