Dragaera

A few questions for Steve re: Character names and identities

Jon_Lincicum at stream.com Jon_Lincicum at stream.com
Tue Jan 17 12:46:30 PST 2006

Stephen Shafer <st.shafer at gmail.com>
Sent by: dragaera-bounces at dragaera.info
01/17/06 12:16 PM

dragaera at dragaera.info
cc

Subject
Re: A few questions for Steve re: Character names and identities

skzb wrote:

>> > Depends on the time.  The rock was called Castle Rock on account of
it
>> > was a rock that looked like a castle (duh).  The town that happened
>> > grow there was called Castle Rock Town, then Castle Rock, then
>> > Castlerock.
>>

>So Castlerock (TPG) came before Castle Rock (TVA)?

Well, it's not quite that simple.

If Paarfi is relating these stories well after the fact (TPG was "written"
in 309 PI) then Paarfi may use the modern spelling in some instances when
describing Khaavren, but may spell it "Castle Rock" in dialogue instances
where Khaavren, Aerich, Pel, Tazendra, et al. are talking to each other,
since that's the spelling they would have used.

Further, Brust "The Translator" may simply have been inconsistent in his
usages of the spellings that Paarfi used in the original "Dragaeran Text".

It's also possible that the Dragaerans themselves still use both spellings
on occasion.

For the Wiki, I've decided to go with "Castlerock", given Steven's answer,
seeing that this is apparently the "fully evolved" version of the name.

Majikjon