Dragaera

the honing of Vlad (was Re: How much does Vlad *really* knowabout Kragar?)

Jon_Lincicum at stream.com Jon_Lincicum at stream.com
Wed Jan 18 07:16:21 PST 2006

Charles Sumner <charles_sumner at harvard.edu>
Sent by: dragaera-bounces at dragaera.info
01/18/06 06:45 AM

Dragaera List <dragaera at dragaera.info>
cc

Subject
Re: the honing of Vlad (was Re: How much does Vlad *really* knowabout
Kragar?)

>At 11:44 PM 1/17/2006 -0800, Davdi Silverrock wrote:
>>On 1/17/06, Jon Lincicum <lincicum at comcast.net> wrote:
>> > Is it a given that time travel is in any way involved?
>>
>>Since the distant past of Dragaera involves stuff from our present and
>>future, and yet the tales of Dragaera are being related in our
>>present, well, I nearly think time travel of *some* sort is indeed a
>>given.
>
>Hmmmm....  I'm not a fan of this theory, but one thought did occur to me
>while reading it.  Why are we assuming that the tales that we're
receiving
>via the black box are contemporary.  Perhaps we have it backwards, maybe
>the Dragaeran stories happened in the distant past and the black box
>transmitted them forward to us (or stored them for untold amounts of time

>until it was discovered).

On the one hand, we have Kelly's discovery of the "very old" manuscripts
uncovered from a vault that Verra mentions in /Phoenix/ (Apparently
written by Marx, Trotsky, Lenin, or similar), which imply that Dragaera is
in our future.

On the other hand, these events being set in the past is the only real way
to reconcile the "current events" of our time with that of Dragaera,
unless one resorts to some sort of time-bending, which I'm also not a big
fan of.

I think Steve does this stuff just to torment us, actually.

>The black box is the one thing that I wish hadn't appeared as it causes
us
>to try to make the series fit with our reality

I believe the box was silver, rather than black, but lets not be picky.
After all, those are both Dragon colors. ;-)

Majikjon