Dragaera

High Tech vs. the Orb

Jon_Lincicum at stream.com Jon_Lincicum at stream.com
Thu Jan 19 08:19:43 PST 2006

Howard Brazee <howard at brazee.net>
Sent by: dragaera-bounces at dragaera.info
01/18/06 11:35 AM

cc
SKZB List <dragaera at dragaera.info>
Subject
Re: High Tech vs. the Orb (some Issola spoilage)

Jon_Lincicum at stream.com wrote:

>>Of course, a simple clairvoyance spell used to listen in to your
enemies'
>>strategy meetings makes radio encryption basically worthless, anyway.
>>

>Separate issues.    I'm sure the enemies' strategy meetings are
>protected.   I'm less confident that all of the communications officers
>sending the encrypted orders by whichever means are protected.

Well, that was really the point I was asking about. Is there really any
way for technology protect against clairvoyance?

>Some radio intelligence can be done without human intervention.
>Clairvoyance might find it hard to read the minds of spy satellites, for
>instance.

Well, since the way I think of clairvoyance isn't just as "mind-reading"
so much as "remote fact-finding", the information wouldn't really have to
be in anyone's brain to find it out.

>One way of using many tools could be illustrated in an example of
>protecting a prize.    The first thing to do is make sure all the
>physical doors and locks work as designed.   Then make sure the
>sorcerous doors and locks work as designed.   Then make sure the
>watchmen work as designed.   Include some cobwebs at strategic spots to
>discover if someone has entered the prize location.   If you can add
>psionic protections (maybe dread), add them.  If you can add witchcraft,
>add it.

But can a purely technological civilization block psionics? Or sorcery?

If not, then information gathered in this manner is *not* safe from
protection.

Say, for example, that Morrolan simply used his secret window to observe
the enemy meetings. How would a purely science-based technology be able to
stop him?

Majikjon