Dragaera

High Tech vs. the Orb WAS Re: the honing of Vlad

Thu Jan 19 12:51:01 PST 2006

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006, Ken Koester wrote:

> Philip Hart wrote:
>
> >On Thu, 19 Jan 2006, Ken Koester wrote:
> >

> >>Oh?  How about random hit squads teleporting into your camps,
> >>
> >setting off the motion-sensor arrays, and being blasted to little
> >bits?
> >
> Along with your troops & all your gear.

Laser batteries?  computer-driven rifles?

Anyway, a teleporting enemy would just lob in a bomb.

> >inhaling the camps' tailored viruses and keeling over?
>
> No virus could work that fast.  And sorcery could cure anything you came
> up with.  No one has managed to make a living at biowar yet

I take it you're talking present-day tech.

I don't know if sorcery would be trivially useful against a sufficiently
cleverly designed virus - presumably the spell would have to inspect all
the victim's DNA for a recognized sequence.

> Of course, if you want to posit Culture-class technology, complete with
> knife missles, effector weapons, gridfire, & nano-assassins. . . .

Well, I earlier claimed that a space-faring civilization is likely to have
military tech beyond what's in our R&D labs.