Dragaera

High Tech vs. the Orb WAS Re: the honing of Vlad

Fri Jan 20 11:00:48 PST 2006

Jon_Lincicum at stream.com wrote:

>Military action, at some fundamental point, involves an infantry unit that
>stands on a given spot and says "This is mine unless you can come take it
>away from me."
>
>Until this happens, the war isn't ever really won.

And *that* argument has been made for Verra knows how long as well.

>An interesting thing happened in 1998 in Kosovo, when the US airforce
>forced a surrender without any ground troops being involved. This is, to
>my knowledge, the first and to date *only* time this has ever happened,
>but the surrender was still essentially meaningless until the ground
>forces moved in to occupy the country. The logistics of this ground forces
>takeover was basically an unprecedented situation.

Not quite, although I'm sure it appeared that way at the time.  What
actually happened is that the Serbian army had dispersed--more or less
successfully--to avoid attrition & destruction from the air during the
bombing campaign.  NATO made it clear that ground troops would be
unlikely to follow on any time soon, so this was a viable strategy to
use while playing for time & fraying the very thin sensibilities of  the
Western world; no penalty would befall a Serbian army thus spread out.
But when the Albanian guerilla forces--recovered from previous rough
handling at the hands of the Serbs--began to move out and engage the
Serbs & when they began to coordinate with NATO air activity, it became
immediately clear to the Serbs that this was a losing strategy, and one
that would lose in days, not months & perhaps not even weeks.  So they
sued for peace.  I agree, the turnabout was very rapid & did not involve
formed units of conventional troops invading Kosovo.  But it came about
only from the imminent & actual pressure of ground troops, combined with
a few forward observers who could call in air strikes.

Snarkhunter