Dragaera

the honing of Vlad

Jon_Lincicum at stream.com Jon_Lincicum at stream.com
Mon Jan 23 10:24:48 PST 2006

Philip Hart <philiph at slac.stanford.edu>
Sent by: dragaera-bounces at dragaera.info
01/23/06 10:20 AM

SKZB List <dragaera at dragaera.info>
cc

Subject
Re: the honing of Vlad

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 Jon_Lincicum at stream.com wrote:

>> than

>> >Me neither.  Wonder if there's any evidence.
>> >
>> >I would have guessed that one decided one's line based on one's own
>> >character and relationship to both parents in cases of mixed lineage.
>>
>> Textev for Lanya e'Kieron comes from TPG, pages 402-405 of the
paperback
>> edition. (It's contained in a discussion between Uttrik and Kathana
>> e'Merich'Chala).
>
>AFB - are you saying that the line was entirely matrilineal, or only
>refuting the idea that lines are entirely patrilineal?  The above sounds
>like the former.

Sorry about the confusion. I was *not* trying to say that the entire line
was matrilineal, but rather that Lanya's direct descendents used their
mothers name. Succeding generations may have switched to a male-line
tradition, it is not made clear. But the fact that the head of the line
was female neccessitates at least one generation of matrilineal naming.

Majikjon