Dragaera

the honing of Vlad

Fri Jan 27 10:29:57 PST 2006

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 Jon_Lincicum at stream.com wrote:

> Joy Jennifer Nicholson <jjnichol at MIT.EDU>
>
> >According to Morrolan in Talsos, he is the eldest son of Aliera's
> >father's youngest sister.  So that means that Adron could create
> >amorphia and passed it on to Aliera, but Adron's sister either didn't
> >have the trait or didn't pass it on to Morrolan.  That makes it a
> >recessive trait?

Not that I see.  Adron has one copy, his sister doesn't; or she does but
her child doesn't.  Also note that Verra has something in mind here,
judging from _TEoDM_.

> That was my basic point. We don't know that Adron *could* create amorphia.
> We never see him do so, and Aliera never says he could, either.

Note that _Issola_ shows that Adron has a special relationship with
amorphia.

Readers of Michael Swanwick's great novel _The Iron Dragon's Daughter_
will recall his portrait of powerful nobles related to chaos.  Perhaps
something of the sort is going on - perhaps the E'Kierons were recognized
by amorphia - that is, it came to know their genes and souls, or they have
a family connection.  As best I recall Aliera describes becoming an Elder
Sorcerer as getting to know chaos and getting it to know the sorcerer.