Dragaera

the honing of Vlad (was Re: How much does Vlad *really*knowabout Kragar?)

Mon Jan 30 15:16:17 PST 2006

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006, Scott Schultz wrote:

> > I wonder if perhaps witchcraft can be used to create amorphia?  But up
> > until Vlad, no witch had been knowledgeable of the possibility, and
> > desperate and stupid enough to try it (and Vlad just didn't realize
> > that it was witchcraft that he had done).
>
> Two arguments against:
>
> 1) Witchcraft doesn't work like that. Every witchcraft spell we've witnessed
> was one that took a great deal of preparation and had a substantial buildup
> to a climax wherein the spell was released and imposed its effects on the
> world. "Instant on" is a hallmark of sorcery. Besides, it seems highly
> unlikely that Vlad could do anything with Witchcraft and not realize how he
> was accomplishing it.

Vlad ought perhaps to be aware of having used witchcraft, but he certainly
has no sense of how a new spell works, judging from _Taltos_ and _J_.
And the circumstances weren't conducive to self-awareness and reflection.

In _J_ V surely went the normal gene/soul route - but for all we know,
that route might be a shortcut to the relevant witchcraftery.

> 2) Dragaerans were derived from Easterners (Terrans) and they are able to
> learn and perform witchcraft just as Easterners can. If every Easterner can
> do it then by extension every Dragaeran can do it and Aliera is wrong about
> it being specific to the e'Kieron line.

Aliera wouldn't know that the e'K line has a witchcraft shortcut.  Maybe
the shortcut is 100% necessary, but maybe only 95%, or maybe not at all,
given the right knowledge.

> With his background, Morollan likely
> takes witchcraft more seriously than the average Dragearan but he's not the
> first Dragaeran to study it.

Sethra hasn't.  Noish-pa is v. surprised to meet a Dragaeran witch.

> If it could produce anything like Vlad's
> ability then it ought to be well known and, in fact, it would give Dragaeran
> sorcerous society a reason

to silently suppress it lest the Easterners hear about it.