Dragaera

the honing of Vlad

Jon_Lincicum at stream.com Jon_Lincicum at stream.com
Tue Jan 31 06:26:16 PST 2006

"Mark A. Mandel" <thnidu at yahoo.com>
01/30/06 07:52 PM

Jon_Lincicum at stream.com, Dragaera list <dragaera at dragaera.info>
cc

Subject
Re: the honing of Vlad

>--- Jon_Lincicum at stream.com wrote:
>
>> Aliera could have gotten her Amorphia creation ability the same way
Vlad
>> did, tho, since her soul is a reincarnation of Keiron's other brother.
>> Or maybe she inherited the ability from her mother?
>
>As I recall, when Vlad asks Aliera how she got the ability, she STARTS
>with the bloodline/genes, and then adds something about spending 50 or
100
>years or so working on the talent. It's not automatic. The bloodline,
>according to Aliera, is necessary but not sufficient.

Hmm... I wonder if Vlad being an Easterner is why he didn't seem to need
any training to pull this off the first time?

Granted, it was an out-of-control spell, and would have destroyed him (and
many others) if Aliera hadn't been there to save the day, but just the
fact that he succeeded on his first attempt seems unusual, given this
explanation.

Or maybe it was the fact that Dolivar used Elder Sorcery (perhaps this is
why he was kicked out of the Dragon House?) and Vlad was somehow tapping
into his latent memories?

>And that, I think, is enough to explain why Morrolan (as far as we've
>seen) doesn't have it. He's interested in Elder Sorcery, sure, but he's
>been working on (obsessed with!) other things as well.

We don't really know what kinds of mischief Morrolan gets into in his free
time. (Which is pretty much always, come to think of it.) He may be
filling massive storage rooms in Castle Black full of chaos stones or
something. What was he doing during the events of /Teckla/ for example? I
think he gets mentioned once in that book.

Majikjon