Dragaera

the honing of Vlad

Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Thu Feb 2 07:06:42 PST 2006

Jon_Lincicum at stream.com wrote:

>That brings to mind a question I've had since reading /Issola/... How will
>Dragaerans in general react to the fact that an *Easterner* holds a *Great
>Weapon*?
>
>Isn't that kind of the equivilent of a toddler walking around armed with
>an Atomic Bomb?
>
>Certainly there will be fear of the weapon itself--but I'd imagine that
>quite a number of Dragaerans will react to it by saying "He really
>shouldn't have that, it's too dangerous for him, we'd better take it away
>from him."
>
>Of course, that's kind of like the mice voting to bell the cat.
>
>Majikjon

It's like GWB saying we should do whatever we can to stop other
countries from being like the U.S.   If other countries invade or if
other countries want nuclear weapons, then we should stop them.

But there was a point in Delany's "Time Considered as a Helix of
Semi-Precious Stones", where they mentioned that law enforcement is
designed to prevent change - once the robber barons become society,
everything is hunky dory.    Dragaeran society probably has lots of
objections to who should have Great Weapons.   But once they're owned,
they are pragmatic about it.    The main interest here might be in the
succession rights of the GodSlayer.